Yesterday lunchtime I hosted a webinar with 110 accounting firms who are a part of our coachingclub program. I gave them 10 ideas to implement this quarter that will set them up for a cracking 2012. Here are the ideas:
1. Get very clear on your purpose. Why are you in business?
2. Fire some clients. Not only is it liberating, but it will create the space for you to focus on the sort of clients that are right for your firm
3. Insist on a 3 year analytical review on every business client. A partner should not accept a file where this has not been done. There are opportunities everywhere to help your clients but they rarely become apparent if all you prepare is a basic P&L and balance sheet
4. Ignore your clients! They don’t know what they need. Accepting what they say they want as what they truly need results in money left on the table – for you and your clients
5. Get all over what-if planning. It is a critically important tool in the sales and delivery processes
6. Help clients set goals for the year. Now is a great time to be doing this
7. Become a wizard at KPI monitoring. The Cloud will make this an essential service for accountants
8. Let your team fly. You have to let go. You can’t do it all yourself. Good team members will accept and thrive on new challenges. If you don’t provide them, they will leave
9. Embrace a culture of world class service. It is all about the experience
10. Come to our annual conference on Hamilton Island in March. It will be a wonderful learning experience with around 350 accountants present. Open to all coachingclub members
If you are a member of our coachingclub you will find more detail on these points in the 45 minute recording of my webinar in your Learning Centre.And stay tuned for more in depth commentary, case studies and recommendations on these ideas and many more in my upcoming book, Accountants – The Natural Trusted Advisors, released on 12th March 2012.